Scroll down to: View my posts, view my links, Check out the HOTTEST ham & solar news headlines, view my accuweather radar, play with a completely interactive weather map, and even send a text message



Custom Search
br>

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Is your Town Repeater Friendly

Like many hams, I’ve traveled through towns of various sizes, repeater directory in hand, hoping to make a few contacts along my way.

All too often, however, After transmitting my call sign, I get absolutely no response.
What gives?


I’ll give my call … wait … Give my call … wait … hear nothing… then hear some guy call his buddy.


Don’t get me wrong, I know there is no law that says someone has to talk to me, but if you’re not going to talk to new people in your area, there’s not much justification for your radios, or your repeaters. And, for that matter, there’s not much use for my participation in the Amateur Radio Hobby.


I carried my handi-talkie to Jackson, Mississippi for two years before people would speak to me, but once they did, I felt right at home.


Believing that we hams can count on each other no matter who or where we are is comforting. That said, when I cant get anyone to even say, “Boo”, that belief is tested.

This situation begs some questions: Are we hams part of a close-knit community? Can we, in fact, count on one another? I believe when push comes to shove, “we are” and “we can“.

So, why not extend a little friendship to strangers when they move through your town? Doing so will be setting an example that just may be extended back to you, one day, when you are driving through a strange town yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment