Scroll down to: View my posts, view my links, Check out the HOTTEST ham & solar news headlines, view my accuweather radar, play with a completely interactive weather map, and even send a text message



Custom Search
br>

Sunday, October 3, 2010

S.E.T. at the Ouachita Parish EOC - My Findings (Pictures too)

We had an interesting time Saturday October 2, 2010 during the Simulated Emergency Test (SET).  Our scenario was based on a Hurricane Pam that cam on shore in Southern Louisiana at 4am that morning.

I was the operator who activated Skywarn by bringing up the net, and I was the net control station, WA5WX.  I began taking check-ins at 9am sharp. 

From the start, we had chaos!  Let me tell you, we had tornados, flooding, hail, powerlines down, car accidents and all sorts of mayham.  David Gore, W5DSG was "dreaming up" the various scenarios related to this event to see how we (the NELA ARES) operators would react, and test our overall effectiveness.

Here are some suggestions I have:

1.  During this "Test", we should have other services there to make the simulation more authentic feeling.  Information we pick up via storm warn could then be "actually" passed to those served agencies.

2.  Many ham operators are physically limited due to eyesight or other issues.  If we know hams will be acting in an emergency capacity in an EOC, their efforts can be made much more effecient if some accessability efforts are made.

In Yesterday's test, the emergency coordinator of our group was able to help some.  The point is, this test pointed out this issue.

3.   We might think of how we enter information on the NWS chat.  This is an issue I can consider for myself though without having to take a formal class.  I can simply keep the reports simple, to the point, and supply only relavent informaiotn.

These are just a few of my thoughts.  Below are a few pictures I took.

Below:  not in any particular order
David W5DSG, Chris KF5HLX, and Sean KF5HLY

 Below:  This is where I was sitting during the test.  This is the EOC ARES communications room.
Below:  Duffy KD5IGZ


Below:  David, W5DSG

Below:  The workspace beside where I was sitting



I invite any and all questions.  Leave a comment, or sign my guestbook.  Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment