Scroll down to: View my posts, view my links, Check out the HOTTEST ham & solar news headlines, view my accuweather radar, play with a completely interactive weather map, and even send a text message



Custom Search
br>

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Getting the most out of your Ham Shack for ARES and SkyWarn

What kind of ham shack do you have? Maybe you have a large separate building or a garage. Maybe you have a radio or two in your bedroom. That said, when making the most of your ham shack, you’ve got to answer some questions.

What will your ham shack be used for? Will you be a skywarn operator? Will you operate as an ARES station?

If so, you’ll need to take a couple things into consideration. 1. You might have to be in it for an extended period of time, and 2. You might need emergency power.

My shack is a small 8’ X 8‘, and I think I have made the most of it. I have 3 spare 12V batteries, as well as a generator for emergency power. Additionally, I have a portable camp stove, an old style percolator coffee pot, and a gas lantern.

These items would be used in the event of an extended power-outage; or entended ARES activation..

Something else I have in my shack is a place to crash.

I have a large toolbox designed for the back of a pick-up to hold odds and ends, and a mattress atop making up a comfortable place to sleep, if necessary.

Any comments or questions can be left in the comment form, or sign my guestbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment