Scroll down to: View my posts, view my links, Check out the HOTTEST ham & solar news headlines, view my accuweather radar, play with a completely interactive weather map, and even send a text message



Custom Search
br>

Friday, August 5, 2011

This Week's Ham Operator Highlight - Mack, KA5JNL

-This is a profile of a Fine ham-

I met Mack in 2008. He was one of the VE testers at my exam. Not only was he there to test me, after I passed,  he was there with  equipment that I needed to get on the air.


He is always encouraging and complementing my progress as a ham, and if it weren't for his generosity, I probably wouldn't be writing this post right now. 

When I was extreemely sick, he even came to visit me in the a hospital 2 hours away.  I respect and admire this man whose heart is as big as they come.

Here are  his questions & answers:

1. What is your qth & when did you become a ham?
Rocky Branch, Louisiana....30 plus years ago.
2. What or who inspired you to get involved in the hobby?
During a drive put on by the city of Monroe to pick up kids to get the
new polio shot who were not able to get there, I watched Mr. Zimmerman call hams on his radio and told them where to go to pick up individual kids...  This was in the mid-fifties...

3. Did you have an Elmer? If so, who was he and what do you remember most about him?
Goerge Zimmerman in 1954....Darn nice guy and fascinating to liten to...

4. What equipment do you run?
Mostly an Icom 756 Pro 3 for HF and an Icom 208H for VHF'UHF...

 
5. What part(s) of the hobby gives you the most satisfaction?
EASY: Emergency Communication and Traffic Handling...


6. What is your proudest amateur radio related accomplishment, if any?
When I gave a General Class Test to my surrogate Dad in Farmerville, La. He was 85 years old...Been a "boot legger" for probably 40 years before he got his Tech...Set him up and he could get on HF other than just 10 meters... He's a SK now...

CRACKLE

No comments:

Post a Comment