Scroll down to: View my posts, view my links, Check out the HOTTEST ham & solar news headlines, view my accuweather radar, play with a completely interactive weather map, and even send a text message



Custom Search
br>

Sunday, August 7, 2011

MFJ Delux Versa Tuner II Giving me Fits

Well, I’ve been trying to use a new antenna tuner. No, its not ‘actually’ new, but it is new to me.


It’s a MFJ Deluxe Versa Tuner II and it has the 2 crisscrossing needles. One is transmitter power, the other is SWR.


I traded out a Dentron Jr. tuner for the MFJ, and the jury is still out on my opinion.


I have not been able to quickly determine upon which letter the inductor should be placed for a given band. The directions say not to select inductor settings while being keyed up, so I can’t watch my radio power meter now the way I could with my dentron.


The result is much longeer tune-up times… If I can get it tuned up at all.


I do manage to get it tuned quickly on 20 meters, but none of the rest of the bands; 10, 12, 15 or 17 seem to want to cooperate.


I guess there’s a learning curve on this new-to-me tuner, so I’ll exercise more patients and record my successful inductor letters/band settings.


Have you ever had this problem?

No comments:

Post a Comment