Scroll down to: View my posts, view my links, Check out the HOTTEST ham & solar news headlines, view my accuweather radar, play with a completely interactive weather map, and even send a text message



Custom Search
br>

Saturday, February 5, 2011

For me, It’s called ‘Amateur’ Radio for a Reason

I wanted to get my Amateur Radio lisence, so I studied my butt off for a couple months. I took the exam, and I only missed ONE question!


Let me tell you, I was walking around proudly like the fox that got the hen. Let me tell you, I knew it all… until.


…until I met some of the other amateurs in my area. When listening to the discussions they have speaking of this capacitor and that audio circuit, and the amplifier’s rectified power, I realize that (Compared to them) I am most certainly an Amateur.


Eventually, I got my upgrade to general. I began working most of the HF bands and came to see the value of amplifiers. I realized that on noisy nights, the amplified signals were just about the only ones I could hear; and they couldn’t hear me.


So I started looking at what they cost. I checked ebay and found one I wanted badly. It was, I found out from a friend, an amplifier meant for CB radios.


Then I looked at an ALS-600. It is a fine looking amp, but another friend told me the transistors in them are very expensive, and when one goes bad you have to change them all… about $600. I thought, “Phew! I don’t want one of those”.


The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know. I am truly an Amateur, and I find true friendship and value in longtime veterans of the hobby.


This is a call for all you young Amateurs, don’t overlook the older hobbiests because no matter who you are, or what you know, there is always something you can learn from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment