Scroll down to: View my posts, view my links, Check out the HOTTEST ham & solar news headlines, view my accuweather radar, play with a completely interactive weather map, and even send a text message



Custom Search
br>

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

GREAT HAM, K5BBA - CARL, NOW A SILENT KEY

If this don't beat all.  I was saddened this morning when I began my 5th region traffic net (NCS) duties when I found out one of our regulars, Carl-k5bba, had become a silent key.


He always had a great signal and loved being a traffic handler for the net.


He was often one of the net control ops and I overheard him say to the net administrator, kj2v (george) that he was unable to call the net... it was either Monday, or Tuesday.


It's sad none of us can stay here forever.  These kinds of unexpected events remind me that we should all cherish eachother while we are around.


Here is a write-up on Carl from the paper.

--------------

 

January 15, 1941 - April 9, 2013
CARL BALLARD

Shannon - Carl Ballard, 72, died Tuesday, April 9, 2013, at his residence. He was born in Jackson on January 15, 1941, to Ernest Carl and Mary Inez Willis Ballard. He spent over thirty-two years in the military, serving in the Army, Air Force and the National Guard, retiring as a Master Sergeant. An entrepreneur, he was the co-owner, with his late wife, Brenda, of Ballard Furniture. He still found time for volunteering and was a Shriner and a Mason. He was a member of the Tupelo Amateur Radio Club, Call # K5BBA.

Services with military honors will be 11 a.m. Friday, April 12, 2013 at The Jefferson Street Chapel of W. E. Pegues with Rev. Phil Wood officiating. Burial will be in Lee Memorial Park.

Survivors include three sons, Ricky Lee (Tammy) of Brewer, David Lee (Lisa) of Nettleton, John Lee of Shannon; one daughter, Jessica McLevain (Fiance, Dee Sullivan) of Troy; seven grandchildren, Ashley Lann (Patrick), Amber Hall (Steve), Michael Lee, Brandon Mitchell Lee (Lenita), Brandon Paul Lee (Phyllis), Breanna Lee and Kyle Stafford; eight great-grandchildren, Ashtann, Madelynn, Seth, Kylie, Elli, Connor, Clint and Juleah; two sisters-in-law, Lillene Ballard of Shannon and Judy Ballard of Tupelo; two brothers, Paul Ballard (Ruth Jane) of Conyers, Georgia and Carley Ballard (Patsy) of Shannon; six sisters, Sally Harrison of Fayette, Alabama, Ruth Bruce of Sherman, Mary Nell Gordon (Chester) of New Albany, Pat Warren of Saltillo, Judy Jones (Jerry) of Guntown and Charlene Centanni (Tony) of Thibodeaux, Louisiana.

He was preceded in death by his wife, Brenda Ballard; his parents; three brothers, William, Jim and Charlie Ballard; two sisters, Ann Hill and Sarah Wilson.

Pallbearers will be Michael Lee, Brandon Paul Lee, Brandon Mitchell Lee, Steve Hall, Patrick Lann, Steven Hilliard, Dee Sullivan, Michael Ballard and Carl Ballard.

Visitation will be 2 - 8 p.m. Thursday, April 11, 2013 at the funeral home.

Memorials may be made to Shriners Hospital for Children Burn Center in Shreveport, Louisiana.

2 comments:

  1. I am a granddaughter of K5BBA, Ashley. I was just reporting him as a SK to the ARRL. I googled his call sign and was amazed at how much I found for him. I cannot express enough how much I appreciate the sincere kindness that the radio members in this nation have bestowed upon our family. He was a member of a great community. Thank you all for being so kind.

    Ashley Lann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said in my post title, he was a great ham. He will be sorely missed by many of us here in the ham community. Ashley, it is a pleasure to have you comment on my site and you would be just as welcomed in our community as he was if you should ever get your license. I never got to meet your Grand-dad in person, only on the air, but I sure would have liked to. I'll pass along your comment to the hams on our net. You take care of yourself and we'll keep you in our prayers.

      Delete