Scroll down to: View my posts, view my links, Check out the HOTTEST ham & solar news headlines, view my accuweather radar, play with a completely interactive weather map, and even send a text message



Custom Search
br>

Saturday, March 23, 2013

ARES & AMATEUR RADIO CLUB SUPPORTS 'RUN FOR THE CROSS' 2013 CALHOUN, LOUISIANA

It has been a very busy couple months for me.  We went from going to the Hamfest in Jackson, MS one weekend, to Rayne, LA two weeks ago.  Last weekend I went to basic and advanced storm spotter - Skywarn classes,  then  Friday, March 22, we went to a funeral for a fallen U.S. Army CW2 in  Winnsboro, LA.  Finally, today I, along with our ARES group, went and provided communication support for The Run for The Cross at First Baptist Church in Calhoun, Louisiana.

The turnout was very good, despite the clouds and cool weather.  When I was in the army, these were the kinds of mornings I liked running.

We had nine check points plus a Net Control Station and a floater.  We also had a guest assist us who is very interested and seems motivated to get his tech ticket.

W5KGT drove the ARES van, Duffy - KD5IGZ- drove his ambulance, Mack - KA5JNL - gave me a ride to the event.  Other hams present were Randy  (KE5ESU ), BOB (N5ARM), Clalud (KD5ITA), Greg (KF5GDG), Thomas (KD5OQC) and one or two more whom I can't remember.

I was situated at check point 9, which was the finish line.  The way I understand this, a company or a club supplies the logistics and overhead for the funish line, the  orange cones marking the route, time keeping, and mile-marking. 

Several times into the event, I was asked where the last runners were, so I'd get on the radio and ask for an update.  I was told where the turn-around points were, and automatically assummed they were the half-way points for each version of the run, either 5k or 10k.

Since there was some space between check points, I think it would have been a good idea to have a ham ride in the rear vehicle to relay end-of- the-field updates.

We managed fine, though.  At the end of the race, a Deputy Sheriff told one of the hams he was going to pick up two straggelers who had not yet crossed some train tracks.  Apparently, according to the Deputy, a train was held up waiting for the two.

Using our system, we did have an accurate tab on the back of the field, but it wasn't as 'real-time' as it could have been.  Maybe this is something we can do next year.

This is my second year helping these folks with this project.  I hope I get to do it again next year.

The staff was very nice and offered us sausage on a stick as well as an event t-shirt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment