Scroll down to: View my posts, view my links, Check out the HOTTEST ham & solar news headlines, view my accuweather radar, play with a completely interactive weather map, and even send a text message



Custom Search
br>

Monday, March 11, 2013

2013 RAYNE, LA HAMFEST - VIDEO AND A FEW PICTURES - REVIEW

I went to the hamfest in Rayne, La (just below Lafayette I'm told) this past Saturday. 

I rode down from West Monroe with Randy-KE5ESU,  MACK-KA5JNL and Jim-AB5YS.

We arrived around 9am and were happy to see lots of tables covered with merchandise both new and used.

I always enjoy looking at  gear of all types.  I like looking at the old boat anchors as well as the new stuff.

I don't remember the call of this one guy I saw.  I was standing at one tabel looking at some formerly military radio gear.  I was asking question to the guy who was selling it when I found out he was priormilitary. 

I asked him about when he was 'in' to which he gave his reply.  I asked where he was stationed to which he replied, Ft. Polk, la. 

I said, "I was there at that time."  Then his voice registered in my memory.  I said, "Chuck?"  He said, "Dan?"  I said, "Yes1. How you doing, man?


I was in the Army with this guy.  Once, while eating dinner (he never fails reminding me)  he choked on some food and I (according to him) saived his life.

Yes, although I like gear, I think the greatest element of going to a distant hamfest is meeting hams I've only heard on the radio.  It's quite interesting matching voices with faces and real people.  Seeing how wrong I wass, in terms of how I imagined people looked compared to how they actually look is really something.

I met Herman-KN5GRK for the first time.

Here's a video and a few Pictures I took.
















No comments:

Post a Comment