Scroll down to: View my posts, view my links, Check out the HOTTEST ham & solar news headlines, view my accuweather radar, play with a completely interactive weather map, and even send a text message



Custom Search
br>

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Fixing Contest Logging Issues

I must say that one of the biggest reasons why I haven't participated in more contests is the logging.


First, you have to have logging software, then you have to be able to convert the log into strange entity known as Cabrillo file.

I have dabbled in contests before, but not to be competitive.  I mainly wanted to figure out how it was done.

Once I entered an IARU  Worldwide contest and won first place for my zone and category.  That said, I sent the Cabrillo file back to the entry point 10 times before it was right.  This part of the contest wasn't exactly fun.

Today I decided to try out the  DXCCSSB contest in which I decided to try a logging program that is new to me.

N1MM is the program.  Many people around my area have told me it is really good, so I attempted to figure it out ... during the contest.

I logged 18 contacts, and the more I logged, the more I felt uneasy about the format I was looking at.

I tried calling all my contesting buddies in the area, but none were available to help me figure out what I was doing wrong.  They were all engaged in the contest and having fun.

I finally was able to get a hold of a ham who set me strait on which contes I should have selected for configuring the contest log entry fields.

THIS IS IMPORTANT!

Bottom line, don't wait until the last minute to figure out your logging software.

Set aside half a day with someone you know who can explain to you how it is done.

73's and Good DX.

No comments:

Post a Comment