Scroll down to: View my posts, view my links, Check out the HOTTEST ham & solar news headlines, view my accuweather radar, play with a completely interactive weather map, and even send a text message



Custom Search
br>

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Stranger Repeater Calls Ignored: Now is that Nice?

Repeater Friendly, Is it for Locals Only?


I’ve traveled through towns of all sizes with my repeater directory in hand hoping to make a few repeater contacts along the way.


Some communities, unfortunately, don‘t seem to like talking to strangers. I’ll give my call and get no replies.


Some of the communities are pretty large so the excuse of not having hams listening, doesn‘t hold water.


When this phenomenon occurs, I know there is a slight possibility that folks are just busy, but using my area as a template, I find people are always listening and ready to talk.


Question. What is the real reason for this phenomenon? I think it’s just plain unfriendliness.


When people, strangers even, ID on our area repeaters, he/she will be greeted by a friendly ham, because that the kind of people we are.


What kind of ham are you? Are you one that doesn’t want to talk to strange call signs? Or, are you the kind of ham who welcomes strangers to your area?
Of the above two types of hams, which kind would you like to talk to when passing through a strange town?

No comments:

Post a Comment