Scroll down to: View my posts, view my links, Check out the HOTTEST ham & solar news headlines, view my accuweather radar, play with a completely interactive weather map, and even send a text message



Custom Search
br>

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Why Handle Traffic? Ask Alabama Hams

For about two two years I’ve been speaking with Brian (KJ4RJU) a truck driver who regularly passes through my town along Interstate 20.


He’s from Alabama; real close to one of the areas affected by recent tornados.


As he passed through today, I had to ask him how he faired in the aftermath.


He told me he wasn’t personally affected; that a tornado passed only a mile away from his home. He didn’t stop there though.


He explained how the images we see on the news does not do justice to the actual damage. He explained about the massive-powerful-tornados that whipped an entire hamlet off the map.


Then, the mentioned the value and importance of amateur radio in the hours following the terrible events. He said the hams in his area were well trained and provided an immeasurable service to the area.


How were the hams able to do this? I’ll tell you: by performing traffic handling in traffic nets when there is no emergency.


This event and the amateur radio response illustrates how important regular practice in traffic handling is.


Get in involved in traffic handling. It’s not that hard, and when trouble arises, you’ll be prepared to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment