Scroll down to: View my posts, view my links, Check out the HOTTEST ham & solar news headlines, view my accuweather radar, play with a completely interactive weather map, and even send a text message



Custom Search
br>

Friday, May 20, 2011

Report: Above average Hurricane Season

Yet again, the Climate Prediction Center of the National Weather Service is predicting an above average Atlantic Hurricane season this year.


Read the ARRL Story.


I think last year we were also told we’d have an above average season, but as far as hurricanes go, it was a bust.


I’m not saying I want any hurricanes, I’m simply saying that regardless of what those NWS nerds say, we should be ready.


What did they say? According to the ARRL article, we have a 65% probability of having an above average  hurricane season. That’s only slightly better than 50/50 odds. You and I might get those odds correctly guessing heads - flipping a coin 100 times.


I wonder if that’s how the NWS came up with their prediction?


Now, I might sound a little cynical but I really do appreciate what the NWS does.


Do you think we should all prepare now that they published their findings? Do you think we would be less prepared if they didn’t publish this report at all, and instead simply stated, “There’s a pretty good chance we’ll see some hurricanes this year”?


I wonder how many tax dollars went into this prediction.

No comments:

Post a Comment