Scroll down to: View my posts, view my links, Check out the HOTTEST ham & solar news headlines, view my accuweather radar, play with a completely interactive weather map, and even send a text message



Custom Search
br>

Monday, December 19, 2011

Amateur Radio's Vicious Cycle?

When it comes to the Amateur Radio hobby, I have known contentment.  Yes, I have found myself completely satisfied with the contents of my ham shack (like I am right now) many, many times. Each time, however, the resulting euphoric feeling have been short lived.


To begin with, I desired an Amateur Radio license which I obtained.  Though pleased, I wasn’t completely happy.   I had to have a radio.  


My very first rig ran on 10 meters only, and believe me, once it was up and running, I was completely content.  That is, right up until I met some folks running some of the UHF/VHF bands.  


Suddenly, I wasn’t content anymore.  Suddenly I needed a 2 meter 
and a 70 cm rig and matching antennas!  I could feel my psyche, my self esteem being damaged as I sank into the murky depths of  depression over my new-found operational deficits.


Eventually, I managed to obtain a couple radios, antennas and I was content again; feeling the euphoric sensation of ham radio bliss.  That is, until I found out my friends were running digital modes.


This cycle, this vicious cycle has a way of continually repeating its self, and I sometimes feel powerless to stop it.


Is this process of discovery, desire, depression, acquisition, contentment, and euphoria really a vicious cycle?  


No way!  It isn’t even close to vicious!  It’s fun!


I have actually over-dramatized a wonderful aspect of our great hobby.  We are truly  blessed with a hobby that offers almost limitless possibilities.  


I know first hand that each time I tap into one possibility, I find I desire to participate in another.  This means Amateur Radio will never grow old or outdated.  


How do you feel about this?

1 comment:

  1. I once read about this in a book that explained that human beings are a wanting animal. That people are only satisfied for a short time. As soon as a need is satisfied, it is immediately replaced with a new one. How true! It made me wonder why man is never satisfied. Then I realized that no progress would have ever been made, if we were simply satisfied. Neil Armstrong, in 1969, would not have set foot on the moon - if we were all satisfied with looking at the moon through our telescopes...

    DE KD5YPC

    ReplyDelete