Scroll down to: View my posts, view my links, Check out the HOTTEST ham & solar news headlines, view my accuweather radar, play with a completely interactive weather map, and even send a text message



Custom Search
br>

Monday, December 5, 2011

The Amateur Radio Stuff-Realm: What’s in Yours?

It’s a funny thing how people can become attached to their stuff. What’s even funnier is how some of us react when we are suddenly separated from whatever it is we cherish.


For example, around the middle of November, I lost my IMAX-2000 antenna. It fell to the ground in the wind with a broken mast, and I haven’t been able, as yet, to put it back up.


I didn’t think this would bother me much. I mean I still have a wire on 20 meters and an 80/40 Dual Band Butternut that work fine. So what if I can’t work 10 or 15 meters, right?


At least, that's what my attitude would be if those bands weren’t as wide open as they’ve been in 10 years!


Let me tell you, since that antenna has been down, I thought about getting my xyl out there holding up an IMAX mast pole while I got my DX fix…. But alas, I knew she wouldn’t ever go for that.


Yes, I was attached to that IMAX-2000. It worked great on 10, 12, 15 and 17 meter bands. The wire I have works better on 20 than the IMAX does. Still, I miss not having the ability to use those other bands.


In this case, I think those bands fall within my stuff realm as much as the antenna.


A local ham friend of mine, KA5JNL, loaned me his ICOM-2100 2 meter radio when I first became a ham. He let me know how special that radio is to him by telling me about the ham (a silent key now) who originally had it.


I suppose the reasons why hams choose to become attached to certain things are as wide ranging as the things themselves. That said, I would never put my stuff ahead of people.


Many area hams (in and around Ouachita parish) have taught me that generosity creates ‘stuff’ of a different sort… in this sense, I’d say friendship falls within the stuff-realm as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment