Scroll down to: View my posts, view my links, Check out the HOTTEST ham & solar news headlines, view my accuweather radar, play with a completely interactive weather map, and even send a text message



Custom Search
br>

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Where I'm amiss in this Hobby

Every ham that’s been a ham for any amount of time knows there are many aspects of this hobby to choose from.


A few examples of the choices hams can choose from are working (building) with electronic components and experimenting with antennas to operating as an ARES/Skywarn station or getting involved in traffic nets.


These choices and others give us hams an opportunity to exceed our current personal knowledge, learning new things, keeping life interesting.


For me, I find I am never satisfied with the knowledge I possess.


I’ve pretty well mastered calling nets, and I can copy and send traffic with the best of them. I can’t however fix my broken desk microphone because I do not have the knowledge base to do so. Additionally, I don’t want to always have to call someone else when I need to fix something.


I suppose one of the reasons I haven’t begun to learn electronics is because I feel like I need to have conditions met prior to getting started.


I need a soldering gun, I need the tools, I’m legally blind so I need a way to see what I’m working on, and on and on….


I think maybe this is a mistake, but learning would be more fun if I were ’working’ on something rather than reading a book.


So, although there are many aspects of this hobby I have taken part in, I am not yet satisfied.


How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment