Scroll down to: View my posts, view my links, Check out the HOTTEST ham & solar news headlines, view my accuweather radar, play with a completely interactive weather map, and even send a text message



Custom Search
br>

Friday, September 30, 2011

This Week's Ham Operator Highlight: KD5JZC - Hoppy

I know Hoppy, KD5JZC from his frequent check-ins on the 5th region traffic net, the Louisiana traffic net, and from a number of pleasant HF conversations. 


Hoppy frequently has the loudest signal on the nets.  And,  despite his serious health problems, he is one of the friendliest-most-well-natured hams I have the pleasure of communicating with.  This is the reason why I chose Hoppy, KD5JZC, to highlight:


-Hoppy, KD5JZC-


1. Where is your QTH? 
I am located in Marksville, Louisiana within Avoyelles Parish (about 30 miles south of Alexandria, LA.).   I live with my Wife who has allowed me to put up towers and antennas and take over the Laundry room for my Ham Radio equipment and Weather Station. 


2. When did you become a ham? 
I became a HAM at the age of 60 back in 1996. The same year I retired and traveled full time in my Motor Home.  While on the road I studied for the Technician license and passed the test at a Family Motor Coach Association Rally in Pomona California. 


3. What or who inspired you to get involved in the hobby? 
My Dad took me to a friend he worked with who was a HAM back in 1949. I spent a whole day with him and talked to people all over the world. I made up my mind that some day I was going to become a Ham. I would have done it then but, in 1949 I also discovered girls.  So I never went back to my Dad's friend and did not become a Ham until many, many years later. 




4. Did you have an Elmer? If so, who was he and what do you remember most about him? 
Never had an ELMER but had some folks who encouraged me to become a Ham and had other Hams encourage me to upgrade to General and then on to Extra. 


5. What equipment do you run? 
I started with a Yaesu FT-7800R (vhf/uhf) in my Motor Home learning about repeaters and finding more Hams out on the road. I then bought a Kenwood TS-870 off of eBay. Screwdriver Antenna to mount in the tow bar receiver on the Motor Home so I could listen to DX etc while parked. That got me inspired to get my General and enjoyed talking. With the screw driver antenna I could just about talk to anybody that could hear me. That lasted until I could no longer live full time in my Motor Home (years of smoking got me and now I am on Oxygen 24/7) and in 2005 I settled down in Marksville. Giving up the living on the road. 


My oldest Son took over the Motor Home and I was able to put up a tower and a Butternut vertical antenna. 
I also started studying for the Extra license. My Youngest Son showed some interest in Ham Radio, so I told him if he studies and gets his license I would give him the Kenwood 870 (great Radio!). Well then came a Hurricane and took my little Rhone 25 tower with the Butternut and a longwire antenna to the ground. I set the Radio and tower and antennas on the side and proceeded to research towers. While I was doing that my Son Scott (KE5TJS) got his Ham license. So I gave him the Radio, antennas and the remains of the tower (5 good sections). He just needed to add a base to the tower and repair the bent up Butternut antenna. 
I also got me a new car and wanted the Kenwood TM-D710A mobile for the new car, so I gave my Son Scott the Yaesu FT-7800R. 


That gave him a mobile and HF radio with antennas and the encouragement to get his General.  I replaced the tower with a Self Supporting crank up/tilt over Aluminum tower from Heights Tower Co. located in Pensacola, Florida. Which happened to be where my two daughter live, and I had visited there often. 


I also bought a 4 El. (6 thru 40m) SteppIR antenna and a Yaesu G-2800XA Rotor as well as an Alpha Delta long wire for 80 and 160 meters. To replace the TS-870 and FT-7800R I purchased a Kenwood TS-2000. I soon realized I wanted better receiver and more power. 


I saved up and bought a Yaesu FT-2000, Yeasu DMU-2000 Data Management Unit, and a Yaesu Quadra VL-1000 Amplifier System. I have done some digital and have a Kantronics KAM XL and a Signalink USB wired up for the Kenwood TS-2000.   Works great for low power digital fun and pretty handy in time of emergency also. 


Because I need Oxygen 24/7 I have a machine here at home to supply the oxygen. We have a Natural Gas Generator for the whole house so I can operate while power is down and still use my Oxygen Machine and operate my Ham stations. 


6. What is your proudest amateur radio related accomplishment, if any? 
One of my proudest moments was when I got the Technician license at 60 years old. Another proud moment was when my youngest son got his General this year.  One other proud moment I hope to have in this life time will be to operate CW. Starting all over again learning the code.

No comments:

Post a Comment