Scroll down to: View my posts, view my links, Check out the HOTTEST ham & solar news headlines, view my accuweather radar, play with a completely interactive weather map, and even send a text message



Custom Search
br>

Friday, September 9, 2011

Thumbs up to This Week's Ham Operator Highlight: Mickey Cox - K5MC


As much as Mickey, K5MC, contributes to the Amateur Radio Hobby, It's a no-brainer to include him in my Ham Operator Highlight.

He is the current ARRL Delta Division Director, and is currently campaigning for reelection.   

For the past 3 years, K5MC  has served  the division admirably, and should remain at his post.  

Of the two candidates running, Mickey has the character, drive, and personality making him the better choice.  Visit http://k5mc.com for more info.

I know Mickey from club meetings and seeing him operate CW on Field Day.  He's a friendly guy who really enjoys this fine hobby.

Here is his Highlight:

Mickey cox, K5MC

1. What is your QTH  & when did you become a ham?
I live in West Monroe, LA.  I became a ham in 1968 when I was 13 years old.

2. What or who inspired you to get involved in the hobby?
My school library had a book about ham radio that made the hobby sound interesting and it also included some neat radio photographs.  My dad encouraged me once I showed an interest.

3. Did you have an Elmer? If so, who was he and what do you remember most about him?
My dad was my main Elmer.  Although he never got a ham license himself, he knew a lot about radio electronics because of his job and own personal interest.  When I showed an interest in ham radio, my dad did everything he could to promote that interest.  My dad’s formal education stopped at high school, but he was probably the most accomplished man I’ve ever known.

4. What equipment do you run?
My main rig now is a Ten-Tec Orion II.  I also have several Kenwood rigs (940 and 2000) and a couple of older Ten-Tec rigs. 

5. What part(s) of the hobby gives you the most satisfaction?
My main operating interests are chasing DX and handling messages on a variety of National Traffic System nets.

6. What is your proudest amateur radio related accomplishment, if any?
Serving as Delta Division Director on the ARRL Board of Directors for the past three years has got to be my proudest accomplishment
----------
 I'd like to thank Mickey for Participating in this Highlight.  Best of luck to you on your reelection.  

No comments:

Post a Comment