Scroll down to: View my posts, view my links, Check out the HOTTEST ham & solar news headlines, view my accuweather radar, play with a completely interactive weather map, and even send a text message



Custom Search
br>

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Ham Radio Antenna Types - A Brief Rundown

Any corrections to my views are greatly appreciated.


There are Horizontally or vertically polarized antennas. The RF patterns of these are perpendicular to one another.


There are Wires, and there are antennas constructed from tubing made from a variety of electrically conductive materials.


Wires are called names like dipoles, doublets, G5RVs, bazookas, loops, and others. Wires when strung out horizontally to the ground are considered to be horizontally polarized. Wires that are suspended in the shape of an inverted “V” have a more vertically polarization. Loops in many instances are horizontal.


Antennas made from tubing don’t necessarily have categorical subtypes except for Beams. However, tubing is used to build vertical HF antennas such as the “Butternut” and the “IMAX 2000”. I’ve seen copper tubing, as well as steel whips used to build J-Poles for UHF and VHF radios.


People say that vertical antennas have a more narrow RF takeoff angle, so they are well suited in many cases for DX (out of country) contacts. Horizontal/Vertical beams however have the advantage of being able to concentrate a signal toward a source, to hear that source better, all while decreasing the interference of signals coming from the sides of the antenna.


Vertical antennas are Omnidirectional. This means they transmit in all directions. Horizontal wires and beams are “directional” antennas.


To view my antennas, use the link in my sidebar.

 
If you’d like to add any information, or change any of my comments, leave me a comment. And, by all means, please sign my guestbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment