Scroll down to: View my posts, view my links, Check out the HOTTEST ham & solar news headlines, view my accuweather radar, play with a completely interactive weather map, and even send a text message



Custom Search
br>

Thursday, November 4, 2010

What Equipment goes into Ham Shacks

Equipment recommendations for ham shacks


Since amateur radio is so diverse, there can be no definitive explanation of what equipment you might decide to put in your shack.


For simplicity sake, I’ll give some suggestions based on most common items.


Some of the most basic equipment:

1. Transceiver(s) - Most hams start out with a VHF radio or an HF radio.

2. Antenna(s) - Whatever radio(s) you have, you’ll need an antenna for each. There are multilane antennas. Additionally, each band you want to use might require an antennas of different lengths. Why is this?

If you divide the frequency by 468, you can get the length of your antenna. (this is not so in every case, but for the sake of this post, we’ll go with it).


There are vertical antennas that are not so long. I have a Butternut that’s 24 feet long (I think). It doesn’t take up as much real-estate as a long wire antenna might.


3. Electrical power/ Power supply- You will need electrical power. Many radios require DC power, so you’ll need a power supply which plugs into a wall outlet. The radio(s) then get wired to the power supply which will convert 120AC to 12VDC.


If you don’t have a power supply, you could use a car battery to directly power your radio. If you use this method, you’ll need a way to recharge the battery as well.


Some things are in ham shacks for pure comfort.
1. Chair
2. Air conditioner/heater
3. Lights
4. Rug
5. A place to sleep
6. Coffee pot
You get the picture.


Other equipment people have in their shacks are computers, antenna tuners, telephone, weather monitoring device, clock, battery charger.


I hope this helps you. Look through my site. I’ve got some videos that show off my peanut whistle station.
Leave a comment or sign my guestbook.


Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment