Scroll down to: View my posts, view my links, Check out the HOTTEST ham & solar news headlines, view my accuweather radar, play with a completely interactive weather map, and even send a text message



Custom Search
br>

Friday, September 30, 2011

My Newest Mode: SSTV - Does the 'V' Stand for Victim?

I decided to get more serious with getting Slow Scan TV (SSTV) to work.  I mean, how hard can it be?


I already had HRD, with the DM780 suite of sweet modes; one of which is SSTV.


So I tuned up 14.230MHZ, plugged in my sound card interface, connected my computer to the external speaker  port on the back of my radio, and I was ready to receive.


As I studied the layout of the SSTV page, I began wondering who in the world Martin and Scottie are because their names are on the window and have something to do (I discovered) with whether or not I  get a picture.


So I guessed and picked Martin..  Eventually, I heard the wiss-whir-sh-sh...wiss-wer sounds and a picture slowly appeared.  


It looked like a Roswell Alien! 


So, I frantically tried to figure out how to send an image back to the station.  I stumbled upon the method of 'Selecting Background' and chose a picture of my dog, Holly.


It was funny to me that even though I wanted to send a picture that would fill the foreground as well as the background that  the menu label read "select background".


So, I had an image to send.  I pressed F1: nothing!  That's what I used to transmit PSK-31, so  I tried F2: Again, nothing!


So, I scanned the entire SSTV window looking for a TX button: nothing! 


 About 30 minutes later, I thought it can't be so simple as to right click on the image I I plan on sending;.. And there it was:  a TX option!


So, I sent my dog, Holly, to God knows who... I hoped.


But, I didn't. I happened tohear a friend of mine, K5JRW on the same frequency talking.


I asked him to meet me on the local repeater; which he did.  We coordinated on different bands trying to get my  SSTV system working.  I could receive his signals, but he was getting nothing from me.


He suggested I try a different SSTV Program.  I downloaded it, installed it and discovered I had the old version of that software.  So, I removed it and downloaded the new version.


It was past lunch by this point so I suggested we give it a rest for the time being.  He agreed.


Later tonight I decided to try  out the DM780 again.


While I was transmitting CQ, I looked at my radio output meter. It was showing no output power.


For kicks, I decided to flip one of the switches on my Rig Blaster and WHAM it started working.


I am visually impaired.  I can't read anything without an aid of some sort, so I get lazy not wanting to take my magnifier to look at every little thing most people can see at a glance.
Ultimately, The 'V' may have stood for victim (if I chose to give up).  Instead, however, it stands for victorious!

1 comment:

  1. OK, My Friend! AWESOME! So, did you make a contact? I Love SSTV. I use MMSTV. It is the Catallac of SSTV. Good stuff. You should download it and try it. It runs circles around the DM780 SSTV. I use DM780 for all the rest of my digital endevors, but not SSTV. GL de Lou WA5LOU

    ReplyDelete