Scroll down to: View my posts, view my links, Check out the HOTTEST ham & solar news headlines, view my accuweather radar, play with a completely interactive weather map, and even send a text message



Custom Search
br>

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

ARRL Straight Key Night: A Return to Amateur Radio’s Roots

From the ARRL news desk:

Always on New Year’s Eve and Day, Straight Key Night gives hams a chance to return to the time when Amateur Radio was just a bit simpler -- a time when a straight key or an old bug, along with a basic transceiver, was all that was needed to communicate around the world. In fact, that’s still all that is needed. Keep the CW paddle or computer keyboard on the shelf this night and send CW the way it’s been sent since the beginning.  ....full story
------------------

This sounds like fun.  This is the first I've heard of this event.  I am an aspiring CW operator, but seldom take the time to practice.  When I do practice, I improve quickly. I go here to practice.

When I think of using the computer to send and receive CW, I think of it as 'the easy way'. I think it's like using an M-1 Abrams to go deer hunting... there is no sport to it what so ever.

so, I like this retro-going-back-to-basics event.

No comments:

Post a Comment