Scroll down to: View my posts, view my links, Check out the HOTTEST ham & solar news headlines, view my accuweather radar, play with a completely interactive weather map, and even send a text message



Custom Search
br>

Friday, October 14, 2011

When DX-ing: To Amplify or not to Amplify? That is the Question

I’ve only been a ham for around 4 years or so, and I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard folks say, “Life’s too short for QRP”.  


That said, there is something to be said for stations that can make the contacts while operating barefoot.


Recently I was talking with a buddy, KG4RJU (Brian) who was telling me about the wide open 10 meter conditions of late.  He said he was catching DX from France, as well as East and West Europe on his Kenwood TS-50 18-wheel mobile.  He was making these on 100 watts.
Okay, maybe that (in itself) isn’t ‘lets-break-out-the-bubbly-and-party-impressive‘, but as he pointed out he was competing for contacts, in pile ups,  with stations running .5kw to 1.5kw easy, and he was beating them out!


I’ve experienced this phenomenon myself while  utilizing some strategies that got my call sign  noticed by the DX station.


If there is a pileup, one thing I try is the wait-till-the-pileup-dies- down-trick then give my call sign.  Or, I transmit my state after my call sign.  Another thing I sometimes try is to time when he’s going to unkey; then I ’hotkey’ rapidly transmitting only my suffix. 


I kind of compare this to hunting.  Good hunters don’t ‘need’ (Some like my Dad refuse to use) high powered rifles with precision scopes because they don’t think it’s very sporting to take down a deer from a hiding spot 1000 yards away.  


Hunters like my Dad get more satisfaction from bagging his deer by utilizing tenacity, strategy, wit and experience.


I think this is the mantra of QRP and barefoot operators.  They may not make as many DX contacts as those proud folks running amplifiers, but they do feel gratified when (because of their wit, tenacity and experience) rare DX stations pick them out over the louder stations.


What is your opinion?  Amp or no Amp?

No comments:

Post a Comment